Sunday 22 March 2009

22nd March 2009

Sunday and not only is it overcast but it's also very windy.
I want to take a sunrise shot at Greenlee Lough, a nature reserve managed by Northumbria National Parks Authority.
I usually do a recce first working out how long it will take me to get to the place I need to take my photograph from.
It's been some time since I was out at Greenlee and so I wanted to refresh my memory of the place.
I parked next to Gibbs Hill, not an official parking place but at this time of the year there aren't many people about so I took a chance. Following the footpath up around the back of Gibbs Hill on the farm track leading up to Greenlee Farm until I came to the finger post pointing me over the moor to the Lough.
At this time of the year it's boggy and I'm glad I put my lace-up wellies on, it's also very rough underfoot and if I do come out for a sunrise I'm going to need a good torch. Eventually I reach the boardwalk that takes me almost to the bird hide on the shores of the Lough. There's not access to the Lough shore except where the hide is. Some mallard take to the air as I approach and a couple of Canada Geese circle around but that's all I see on the water. Last year I approached the Lough from the footpath at Hotbank Farm on the south shore, I could see the bay with the bird hide was empty of wildfowl but the next bay was chock full so I guess birds know all about hides!
Checked my watch - I guess in the dark I'd have to allow myself an hour but I've heard there are often deer and mist rising off the Lough so I guess on a good day it will be worth it.
On the way back I notice a new board walk, I recall Michael the NNPA warden telling me he was putting a new route in so I decide that's my way back.
Of course I soon discover it's not finished yet, so I had a plodge through boggy ground to get back to the car. I ran into Michael at the Once Brewed visitor centre and he hopes to have it finished by May. It will be so much easier to use than the current footpath and I might just hang on for my sunrise shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment