Sunday 29 March 2009

29 03 09

Clocks changed this morning, I had my alarm set for a sunrise but when I got up the sky was clear and not ideal for photographs, I need a few clouds to bounce the light off. There was also snow on our Velux window and a heavy frost on the ground, what better excuse did I need to go back to bed for an hour or so :)
When I did get up it was to bright blue skies and a day begging you to take a walk.

Today's destination was Sewingshields Crag, it's one of the up and down sections of the Wall. You climb and climb thinking you're almost there and then as you crest one hill you discover there's an even bigger one still to be tackled.

The Cheviot ewe's from Housesteads Farm were up on King's Hill, making a nice picture against the clear blue sky.

One had managed to get over on it's back and while this looks quite funny it can be fatal for these broad backed sheep, they can't roll back over again and will die. I went over and hauled the sheep upright, she seeemed fine and trotted off. At this time of the year a dead sheep costs the farmer that ewe and also the lambs she's carrying, so if you see a sheep on its back please go and turn it over.

A few people were out enjoying the day, I went up to the trig point at Sewingshields, trying to get a good shot of the bits of Wall and the Old Repeater Station, a B&B unlike any other on the Wall!

From the top there are great views, the Cheviots to the North had snow on them but no matter how I tried I couldn't get the angle right for a shot so you'll just have to come and see for yourself.

The views over Broomlee Lough were lovely, the water looked so blue, I decided to go across and see if I could get some closer shots. There's a Pennine Way footpath that you can access from Kings Wicket ( no idea where that name originated) I set off overland towards the Lough, it was very, very boggy and although I got to the shore the photographs were a bit disappointing, very colourful but not nearly as good as I'd hoped so just enjoy the view from Sewingshields.

The other thing that I like about this area is the view west, you can see this remarkable landscape carrying Hadrian's Wall, it reminds me of a slumberling dragon with the various crags as spines and the head at the Winshields Crag highpoint. I don't have that many favourite views going east to west but this has to be one of them.

Hoping for a sunset tonight, I'm wanting to get the Mare and Foal standing Stones, check back to see if I've managed.

Catch you later.

JoT

No comments:

Post a Comment