Thursday 2 April 2009

Cawfields

Sunrise and sunsets are my favourite sort of photographs, it's coming back to the time of year when the sun is in the 'right' place for Wall shots so I'm out and about whenever conditions look promising.
Headed out to Cawfields on the last day in March, the evening sun hits the Quarry face showing the strata lighting it up and making a nice bright photograph. On the little Cawfields Quarry Lake were two Canada Geese who seemed happy to pose for me, I spent some time there, trying different angles as they swam around as I left so did they. Then I wandered around for a while trying to get a good shot of the vallum, it runs parrallel to the Wall and is well defined at Cawfields, but I have to say it's a very beggar to photograph well.
As it got nearer to sunset I climbed up to the high point beyond Thorney Doors, not something to be done on a full stomach, it's quite an incline from the lower footpath especially for a wrinkly like me :)
But it's well worth the effort, you could be on top of the world there , just watching the sun go down over Walltown in the distance.

It wasn't a showy sunset, we don't seem to get those vast red and yellow skies anymore, I think those went with pollution in the atmosphere.

Guess a 'Bring back Pollution' drive wouldn't be too popular, but let's start a trend for 'gentle' sunsets with pastel tones.

The sun finally went down and it began to get chilly, I headed back to the car, I could hear a noise like scramble bikes and worried it was youngsters up to no good. We moved here from Washington on Tyneside and this was a throwback to those days, here the noise was from our local fire brigade, a band of retained fire fighters doing exercises that involved water.

Or at least that's what they told me - looked like they were having too much fun for it to be work!

There's a good car park with toilet at Cawfields, just a short walk alongside the quarry lake will bring you to Hadrian's Wall and milecastle 42. There's also the Milecastle Inn, just down the road, if you want some refreshements.

Catch you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment