Thursday 7 May 2009

By the light of the silvery moon


Sometimes I'm up so early the moon is still about.

I was looking through my pictures and came across a shot taken, very recently on Cuddys Crag, of the full moon and it remined me of something I wanted to blog to you about.

When I first came to Gilsland, six years ago, I was delighted by the starry skies we get here. On a clear night the stars look so close you could almost touch them.

I downloaded an astronomy map and was able to identify several of the better known constellations by eye. A telescope would be even better!

Pity those of you living in cities don't get that chance, light pollution kills any chance of star gazing.

I know there's an observatory in Keilder but I'd guess, once you're outside of Haltwhistle's zone of light pollution, up on Hadrian's Wall you'd get a pretty good view of the night skies.

The air here is good and clear, you only have to look at the amount of lichens growing on the Wall to know that's a fact.

We've also had wonderful displays of the Northern Lights (allegedly :) , and despite my young neighbours trying to wake me up to see them, I slept on through the whole display, much to my disgust.

I've always wanted to see the Northern Lights so I'm hoping this year could be my year.

So..... if you're a star gazer this could be the place to be.

Hate to brag but we really do have everything to offer on Hadrian's Wall.

Catch you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment