Friday 7 August 2009

Greenlee Lough


In March I blogged about my trip to Greenlee Lough, at that time the NNPA was constructing a boardwalk and I promised to get back to you once that was finished.
I went out there on Wednesday eagerly anticipating a gentle stroll from the road to the Lough
Ha! Gentle stroll, in my dreams.

Once you've gone through the smart new gate you have to work your way across uneven terrain, roughly following a line of telegraph poles.

As yet there are no way markers, those helpful little yellow arrows to keep us on the straight and narrow, and because this isn't one of the more popular walks the route isn't terrible obvious.

Highland cows and Jacob's sheep graze the early part of the walk then you pass through damp meadowland full of butterflies. I was delighted to see a lot of the coloured ones, in our garden at home we seem to be getting just the white ones.

The track takes you up to a small wood, private and no access allowed so follow the wall along until you spy a bright new pole that marks the start of the boardwalk.

Michael and the NNPA team are to be congratulated, they have made a splendid job of the boardwalk and it's blending into the surroundings very well. Once you're on that you can make good time, passing through areas of cotton grass, Millet grass and countless species of wild flower - stunning on a nice day.

7 mute swans on Greenlee Lough but it's not easy to see anything else as access to the waterside is limited to the hide, which the birds seem to take delight in going no where near.

I took the old route up the hill back to the car which I thought I'd parked carefully. Certainly not blocking anybodies access and miles from anywhere but I got back to find a polite note asking me not to stop there again.

So bear in mind there's no parking anywhere near the Lough. The official walk starts at Steel Rigg, covers 7.5miles and is rated as strenuous.

After I'd done the walk I went into the Once Brewed Tourist Office and discovered they have a new leaflet that explains all of this, so make that your first port of call.
Catch you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment