Saturday 12 September 2009

Sometimes there's magic


I've been up for a sunrise two mornings in a row, not a particular hardship at this time of the year when the alarm's going off at 5.20am.

I was hoping to catch mist at Cawfields and when I got there it was misty but so much so you couldn't actually see anything. I kept on the Military Road and turned off for Steel Rigg, the sky was a wonderful red, and although there was no mist today it was worth a shot. There's a marquee on the field at Steel Rigg at the moment, the daughter of the Hotbank Farm family gets married today and the guests will all enjoy that wonderful view from Steel Rigg.

Took half a dozen shots until the sun started to rise then I headed back to Cawfields to wait for the sun to burn off enough of the mist for me to get a shot.

I drove along the road until I was above the mist, found a safe place to park and waited.
Cows came to see what I was up to but as it didn't involve fodder they quickly lost interest.

There are some wonderful bog areas along Blake Law, some rare mosses and plants grow there.
Being full of water as soon as you get a cold clear night the mist forms. I imagine it has done that since time began and I like to imagine the soldiers of Rome up there on the Wall surveying the mists in exactly the same way that I do today.

I took loads of photographs, mist twirls and dances across the landscape so each second is totally different - parts of Cawfield Crags appear and disappear from view making each photograph unique. The sun came up and tinged some of the mist with a golden glow and caught the spiders webs in the reeds at my feet. It was just magical, I wish you could have been there with me it's something money can't buy.
Catch you later...

No comments:

Post a Comment