Tuesday 29 December 2009

Slipping and sliding along.

-10 on Sunday night left the minor roads hereabouts, like a skating rink.
It really wasn't worth taking the car out, although the main roads were well gritted all of the access roads to Hadrian's Wall are little windy roads, with an incline that water runs down, perfect conditions for black ice and accidents.
A walk from the house was decided upon, and the route was up Wardrew Hill to Temple Mount, ( I wonder if there was a temple there, must check Google earth and see what it looks like from space), across the footpath towards Barron House, along the footpath to Greenhead then returning to Gilsland along the Hadrian's Wall Path.

Gilsland Panorama from Temple Mount

Got my camera ready and set off  up the hill, I'd hardly gone 100yards before I fell the first time, I was well wrapped up and didn't hurt myself but getting up was a chore.
Everywhere was so icy that I couldn't get an purchase to push myself up, had to crawl on hands and knees to the verge, then I got a fit of giggles so it was a while before I was upright again.
Made it to Irthing House Farm but Wardrew Hill was solid ice, I detoured into the adjacent field (I have permission from the farmer) and climbed up to Temple Mount, the untrodden snow had an ice crust so it was easy if strenuous walking.

View over Gilsland from Temple Mount, Lake District mountains on the horizon.

At the top it was so beautiful, you can see for miles, the north Pennine range and even the snow covered  mountains of the Lake District were visible.
No-one had walked this way so I followed animal tracks, obviously this is a busy thoroughfare during the night, unfortunately the way the melt and refreeze distorted the tracks it was impossible to identify what creature left them, unless there really are Yeti's roaming these hills :)
Paul and Christine were out on the quad bike spreading hay for their sheep, they have a beautiful 5 star, holiday house to rent, West Nichold Cottage a converted barn that you can see in the picture. Not a bad place to spend a winter holiday, even being snowed in there would be pleasurable.


West Nichold Cottage, perfect spot for a holiday

The views from the footpath, across to the Thirlwall Nicks (used to be the 9 Nick of Thirlwall but quarrying took at least one of them out!) and Hadrian's Wall at Walltown are lovely, the hills seem much closer than they are and, with a shining white field of fresh snow, they made a nice picture.


Views to Walltown from footpath.

Down the Hill to Barron House Farm, the footpath goes through the farm yard and the farmer Leslie ( happy 60th birthday Leslie) and his young son John were there to greet us.


The footpath down to Barron House

Had a catch up on the news before heading down their farm road, the ice here was so bad and the verge so thin that I had to edge down the hill sideways. The idea of slithering my way to Greenhead, especially as the cafe there is closed now until March, didn't appeal so I carried on down over the railway line to join the B6318 and head back into Gilsland.

A warm coffee and a bit of Christmas cake my reward for all the effort :)
Catch you later,
Joan
Click on the photographs to view them at a larger size.

No comments:

Post a Comment