Saturday 12 December 2009

Winter mists

Gilsland was shrouded in mist on Friday but the webcams along Hadrian's Wall Hadrian's Wall webcams were showing some patches of blue.
I've been wanting to check out the views from Mucklebank Crag (NY681667), to see if a winter sunrise shot would be possible.
As I'm an official 'wrinkly', I have to go out and time how long it's going to get me to 'X marks the spot' especially if I'm clambering around in the pre dawn light.
TT decided to reprise his starring role as 'he who carries the tripod' and came with me.
It's the first time he's been on the new footpath up Mucklebank Crag and was impressed at how much easier, and safer it was to go up and down.
As we climbed the temperature did too and coming up into the sunsine was lovely.
High up on the crags that form part of the Nine Nicks of Thirlwall you get wonderful views all round.
The ground is still very wet, understandable considering all the rain we've had, I'd recommend gaiters and good boots if your venturing out onto the Hadrian's Wall Path.
It was amazing to watch the mist ebb and flow over Walltown Crags and I took loads of shots so instead of writing a long blog I'm uploading extra photographs.
Catch you later.

View over Haltwhistle Common from Allolee Farm

View east from Cockmount on the Hadrian's Wall Path

A fogbow over Walltown



View from Mucklebank Crag, south over Haltwhistle Common


The trees that mark King Arthurs Well in the mist


TT adding a sense of scale to the view across Walltown Crags

Tree on the footpath up to Mucklebank Crag


Walltown Crags from the turret on Mucklebank

Walltown Farm in the Mist

One of the beautiful old trees at Walltown Farm

Panorama from Cockmount on the Hadrian's Wall Path

PS. If you click the photographs they'll enlarge a bit but they are small file sizes for uploading.
The photographs featured in my blogs are available to buy as a print or canvas from a high resolution image.

1 comment:

  1. Some lovely shots there, Joan. I love the trees at Walltown Farm.

    ReplyDelete