Thursday 11 February 2010

A different side.

Yesterday the weather was beautiful, I'd checked the tide times and discovered high tide at Bowness on Solway was mid morning, and I've been wanting to try my hand at photographing oystercatchers on the wing.
Bowness on Solway is the start (or finish) of the Hadrian's Wall Path, I find it a strange place not at all welcoming and the little hut that walkers pass through, is tucked away out of site.
Nothing to see of the Roman fort which once stood there
I imagine finishing a long walk here is a wee bit of an anticlimax, although I have to admit the walk on a beautiful day the walk along from Port Carlisle is stunning.

The Solway Firth an AONB, is the third largest area of continuous intertidal habitat in the UK and hosts thousands of wintering wildfowl and waders.

Oystercatchers in flight

Probably the best place to see geese and swans is over at Caerlaverock on the Scottish side of the Solway, birds are fed there twice a day so that's generally where they can be found.

Yesterday I wanted the sunlight behind me to highlight the birds plummage so it was that I came to be plodging through the mud that makes up the shoreline of the south side (and the English side) of the Solway
Asleep on the shore

High tide wasn't quite as high as I'd hoped so I had to go out to the birds, standing out like a sore thumb against the flat shore line.  Never mind I did get a couple of shots and discovered places that offer good views for when the tide is higher than yesterday's 5ft offering. Something for another day.

Oystercatchers on the mudflats
When the tide does go out it goes a long way as you can see on this aerial shot of the mud flats 
We called into the RSPB reserve at Campfield Marsh but, as usual, there was very little to see a few swans and a dusting of widgeon.

Widgeon and mallard on the shore, so cold the sea has frozen on the mudflats

After that we headed home.

That evening I decided to go to Gretna to try, yet again, to get a decent shot of the starlings, there are so many of the birds that you'd think it would be easy but fading light makes it difficult and they aren't roosting in the same place each time.

Last night I stood on the motorway bridge waiting to see which way they were going then headed down to the potato field.

A murmuration of Starlings


Starlings are constantly flying in to join the group




Getting ready to go down to the roost, as I was watching a peregrine flew over my head once they were safe the starlings went down into the conifers.

Got a couple of shots I like but I managed to lose my car keys and in the dark it was impossible to find them.

I'm indebted to Mr Eric Stanwix and Mr David Stephenson, who helped my search and incredibly kind when they had a long way to go home.

TT got a lift from our neighbour Richard and brought the spare key so at least we got home.
I rang today and a replacement for the one I lost would cost £185 plus VAT - for a car key!
Borrowing a metal detector we headed back there this afternoon and thankfully found the keys.
It was nearly a very expensive Starling shot.

Both of these sites can be reached within 45 minutes from Gilsland, so if you're coming on a winter holiday and fancy a break from walking these options might be to your taste.
Catch you later

1 comment:

  1. Murmuration of Starlings is great! Worth misplacing your keys for!

    ReplyDelete