Friday 5 February 2010

A fine weekend

Sunday was fine and bright.
Biting cold as befits the last day of January, but you layer up and have a hat to cover your ears and head for the hills.
I parked in the old telephone box layby and set off up the footpath that is part of the Pennine Way.
It heads uphill through the field of Bradley Farm ewe's fat with lamb, over the stile and up past the Lime Kiln.
At one time there were lots of these kilns but most have fallen into disrepair, this one has been restored and very fine it looks too.

The Lime Kiln (NY781683)

The path passes in front of the kiln and curves on up the hill. Some wonderful views from here looking south over the Pennines, still snow tipped and on a clear day the Lakeland hills are visible. A good excuse to stop and catch your breath for it's a steep climb, well maybe a youngster can bound up but I like to pause now and again.
The path leads you up to Rapishaw Gap where the Hadrian's Wall Path and the Pennine Way path cross. I'm still researching my viewpoints for the Hadrian's Wall Illuminations event and I head off to the east and up onto the stone steps of Cuddys Crag. This is the viewpoint used on the Illuminations website and one of the most beautiful views on the Wall.
Just a touch of frost on the stones of the path so I set up my camera and wait.
I usually like to include a figure in my shot, it gives a sense of scale to the Wall I think.
On this lovely day people were out in force, a group of walkers from Haltwhistle came by, too many for my purpose but they passed by with a cheery 'good morning' greeting. Shortly afterwards a heavily laden hiker came into view, he was wearing red, always a plus, and he was wearing proper walking gear, blue jeans and trainers just don't do it.
I took a photo making sure to ask his permission as he passed.

Walker on Cuddys Crag (NY783686)



Cuddys Crag heading west (NY783686)

I wandered about checking out the various viewpoints, although I have a feeling this part of Hadrian's Wall will be the first destination for most photographers on the 13th so maybe it's not for me.
I wandered back down to Rapishaw Gap and then made the climb up onto Hotbank Crag, still some snow about on this crag, frozen solid it will be some time before it melts away completely.
The views from Hotbank Crag don't feature much in Hadrian's Wall literature but I love them.

Hotbank Crag (NY777685)

The way Hadrian's Wall undulates across the crags always brings a smile. From here you can follow the Wall all the way to Sewingshields and as a viewpoint it has definate possibilities. It's a bit further from any parking area so not as many folk will be heading here.
There's also a view west over Crag Lough, I love 'twofers' viewpoints.

Hotbank and Crag Lough ( NY774684)
Feeling the need for a coffee I decide to head back, there's a lower level path here that runs parallel to the Wall following the Roman Military Way. It's much flatter that Hadrian's Wall Path and the views aren't quite as spectacular but it's a pleasant walk on a nice day.


Housesteads Crag from the Military Way (NY780685)


Soon I'm back at the car and heading home, at this time of the year most of the cafes are closed, I toy with the idea of stopping at the Twice Brewed pub for a bowl of their superb soup, but in the end I just go home.
It was a grand walk out though and at this time of the year every nice day is a bonus :)
Catch you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment